Saturday, June 14, 2014

Canvassing for Yes Scotland!

Since the Independence Referendum is coming up, I thought I'd share a bit about one of the few opportunities as an intern that I've had relating to the Scottish Independence Referendum: Canvassing. 

Canvassing is a method of grassroot campaigning in which one goes to doors, knocks, and campaigns to constituents. Think of a door to door salesman, only you're asking about political views etc.

For those who don't know, here's a wee bit of background on Scottish politics. On September 18th, 2014 Scotland will hold an independence referendum asking voters one question: Should Scotland be an independent country? Yes? No? If Scotland becomes an independent country it will no longer be a part of the United Kingdom. The main grassroot campaigning group supporting independence is called "Yes Scotland." The campaigning group that does not support an independent Scotland is called "Better Together." 
File:Logo of Better Together 2012 Limited.png
Better Together Logo. Credits go to bettertogether.net
As an intern for a Scottish National Party Member of Scottish Parliament, I definitely canvassed for "Yes Scotland" every Tuesday night in late April and May from 6-8:30 PM for Edinburgh Central. Why? Yes, I admit I did canvass for the work experience, but I also canvassed because I believe Scotland is better off as an independent nation than as a member of the United Kingdom.

Yes Scoland Logo. Credits go to YesScotland.net

Process of canvassing for "Yes Scotland"
So as a canvasser, I was given surveys with electoral information on the survey. As a canvasser my job was to ask the person on the survey 2 questions: 1. Should Scotland be an independent country? and 2. On a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being completely against an independent Scotland and with 10 being completely for an independent Scotland where would you place yourself at? 

If the person being surveyed was there, I would ask them and tick their responses; however, I have run into the case that people did not want to actually talk or weren't there at all. In the case that someone wasn't there, I just left the survey with an free post envlope so he or she could mail his/her response, but in the case that he or she refused to talk I just wrote a gigantic R. Other canvassing problems for me involved confusing the doors because the numbering system on UK doors is absolute rubbish. E.g. P means ground floor, and I would see things like PF4 meaning primary floor 4th room. The problem is when doors aren't labelled, you can get PF1 and PF4 confused/ deliver the wrong surveys. What I learned: Assume the door closest to the hallway/ staircase is 1. 
A modern-looking black door with a huge glass panel and a very low-set letterbox
Other pain in the arse problems: sometimes the letterbox is either too high or too low to stuff surveys.
When I first canvassed, I was partnered with one of the most charming Parliament Assistants and canvassers ever, Sheena Clevland. She taught me how to get people to answer the buzzers and let me into the building (this is not as easy as it sounds), and just how to canvass in general. There is no one set canvassing strategy, but here's what I ended up doing: For the buzzer I would say "Hi, I'm canvassing for the independence referendum and I was wondering if you could let me into the stairs please?" As for the doors, I would ask if someone was in and if they had a moment to spare just ask them the questions, and answer any questions they had about independence.  

The act of canvassing itself is a little bit nervewrecking because at first the fear of rejection and failure is overwhelming. The first time I canvassed, I basically had 10 people who said nos or didn't respond / rejected me, and I was gutted; however, the fear of rejection and failure slowly stopped phasing me. As for speaking, yes I was nervous and I still am, but I've greatly improved at speaking and improvising answers on the spot. Sometimes my efforts did seem futile, but there have also been moments I've ran into the one person who passionately supported the Yes Campaign, and it was these simple moments that made my day, and made my efforts worth it. :)

Overall, canvassing was one of the most nervewrecking things I've done, but I also think it is one of the few things I already miss about interning at the Scottish Parliament.

I'll update more, but until next time

Cheers,

Tina 

No comments:

Post a Comment