Monday, July 7, 2014

London Trip: Day 2

I woke up early in the morning, showered and went to get a proper English breakfast. In case anyone’s wondering what an English breakfast consists of with cold items: canned fruits like the peaches found in a fruit cocktail, grapefruit, mandarin oranges, and prunes with yogurt, granola, crossients and jam etc. (I had a bowl of mixed fruits and crossients with nutella spread.) AMAZING. What I so far described was the cold breakfast component. The other components: black pudding (sadly there wasn’t any), bacon (ham), sausage, fried egg, baked beans, sauted mushrooms, and fried toast.  Drink wise: black currant juice, tomato juice, orange juice, apple juice, milk, English tea, or coffee. After eating my fill, I walked to buy an oyster card. An oyster card is a card you can use to travel around London. It costs 5 pounds to get and 2.20-2.70 pounds / ride depending on the time. The travelcard on the other hand is a card for a day that costs 8.90 pounds but it lets you travel anywhere using the tube for that particular day till 4:30AM the next morning. I honestly wished I got the travelcard instead of the oystercard but oh well.

File:Full English Breakfast.JPG
English Breakfasts are better than American Breakfasts
Anyways, after getting lost on a few lines, I arrived at the City of London in front of London Tower. For those who have no idea: The City of London is not London, and is a city within a city (London) within a country (England) within a larger country (United Kingdom). Place-ception anyone? After walking around London Tower, and taking pictures of the Shard, the Gherzit, and other views of the city I found myself at the Tower Bridge exhibition. Since it was 5.60 pounds I ended up going through the exhibition. After taking a lift up to the top of the bridge I entered a dark room. The first room had a gigantic TV screen with Queen Victoria I, the creator of the bridge (can’t remember name), and a scientist all discussing the overall bridge function and random facts about the bridge. For example, I learned that the bridge was operated by steam and hydrolic power. The second room was a photo exhibition about the bridges in the world as well as the history of the bridge creators. The third room was another photo exhibition though it had scenes from “This is London” and information about how suspension bridges worked. The fourth room was a hand drawn animation about the construction of the bridge, and finally the steam room on the lower level showed replicas of how the bridge’s internal functions worked. Needless to say I was amused. 

The City of London is NOT London. It is a separate entity that is older than London because of conquest + Roman Empire.
After the bridges exhibition, I proceeded to walk to the London monument passed the London Bridge. Maybe because I really thought it would be good to optimise the 5.60 pounds for the Tower Bridge and London Monument ticket, I ended up climbing to the top of the London monument....up all 311 steps. Not the smartest thing I did considering the view from the top reminded me that I am insanely terrified of flights but it was still amazing. 

Image result for london monument
The London Monument
Random fact about the monument: it was designed by Christopher Wren to commemorate those who died in the London Fire. Christopher Wren is also the designer of Pembroke College cathedral and West Minster Abbey.


Image may contain: outdoor
The Blue Cock in Trafalgar Square
Anyways after the monument and bridge, I used the tube to get to Leicester square and proceeded to get a quick dimsum lunch. I ended up getting eggrolls and changfun since those two things were honestly foods I really missed quite a lot.  After lunch, I ended up buying milk tea and passed by a William Shakespeare statue while walking to Trafalgar square. Since I had an hour to kill before going to Parliament, I ended up going into the National Gallery and re-looking at works by Rembrandt, Titian, and other great artists. After my visit, I saw a gigantic blue cock (rooster) outside the museum, and proceeded to walk to Parliament. I stopped by the Covent museum and took a few pictures, but did not get near the soldiers with horses because I was afraid the horse was going to bite me. Afterwards, I saw a large mob of people at Downing Street. For those who do not know, Downing Street is the street where Prime Minister David Cameron lives in. I’m not sure what was going on, but I did take a picture of the street sign because it’s Downing Street. 

Image result for national gallery
The National Gallery

Random fact: There is an official royal position in the UK government called “The Chief Mouser of the Cabinet Office of the United Kingdom of Great Britain ….so in short: Chief Mouser to the Cabinet Office for cats.
Larry, the Downing Street cat, gets in the Royal Wedding spirit earlier this year, by donning a bow tie in the Cabinet Room at number 10 Downing Street
Larry the Chief Mouser of the Cabinet Office.
I honestly had no idea where Portcullis House was, and missed it until my friend called me. Portcullis House is like the place where MPS meet, or the Garden lobby of the Scottish Parliament. The security though is worse than airport security. At least with airport security there’s no need to take off your belt. In Portcullis House, the security is ridiculous that you might be subjected to multiple body scans. I ended up learning more about MPS and the UK political system in a nutshell. Random facts about Parliament:  UK Parliament is made of the House of Lords, Commons, and monarch. Monarch’s purpose is mainly ceremonial though she does have a lot of power. (I’ll write another blog about this another day.) 

After learning a bit about the UK Parliament, I was able to step into the House of Commons and House of Lords. I thought Westminster Hall was breathtaking because it looks like the great hall from Harry Potter, but after seeing the central room where the House of Lords and House of Commons meet I have to stand corrected. That central room is like entering the Versailles Palace in the sense that it’s ornate to the point that the Baroque style isn’t even overwhelming anymore It’s basically like the French came in and decorated that room with the Rococo style, furnishing it with paintings, intricate designs, ornate chandeliers, etc.  Anyways, so I watched the House of Lords debate and honestly I could not pay attention. If it wasn’t bad enough that the microphones are hanging from the ceiling, it’s worse that the speakers are so soft spoken that it’s actually hard to understand what is being said. After 15 minutes of that I ended up going to the House of Commons and watching that debate. Thankfully the speaker system was much better and I was able to listen to the Conservatives and the minister of pensions from the Labour Party argue about pension amendments.

At 6:00 PM I ended up leaving and getting Chinese food of xiaolongbao, szchuan dry noodles, and honey garlic pork. Delicious. I then ran and rushed to see Les Miserables on broadway. The singing was amazing and honestly, I was almost in tears by the end of the play. 

Image result for les miserables
It's a MUST watch when you're in London.

After the play, I ended up walking around to Big Ben and proceeded to walk down the River Thames (though in the wrong direction and ended up at Chelsea instead of Tower Bridge). I also did walk to the London Eye, and I must say it is incredibly beautiful, though it is not worth 30 pounds to ride on the London Eye. Afterwards, I ended up exploring the tube station, going to Baker’s Street and taking pictures of the Sherlock Holmes Mosaic in Baker’s street.  Then I got lost on Russell’s Square trying to find my way back to the Harlingford Hotel. Thankfully a kind Londoner was able to help me get back home at 1AM. 

Overall, I must say it was the most productive travelling day, and I find it ironic that it’s easy for me to navigate the tube, but not to my hotel which was only one street down (going straight.) Oh well. That’s life.

No comments:

Post a Comment