Thursday, April 24, 2014

Journal #2 :)

Here is a few more journals I have done.
Tina Lin

Monday:
         My second week was surprisingly underwhelming compared to my first week; nonetheless, it was still a great week. My Monday was spent continuing the parking badge disability briefing. I ended up scrapping my first draft, and rewriting the brief, organising it in the form of bill intention, main arguments, current bill problems, main points, background i.e. who is implementing the bill, timeline of related events, bill section, consultation, and news related to Aberdeen Donside. Additionally I was given 20 invitations, and told to check my MSP’s schedule.
File:Scottish Parliament garden lobby.JPG
Even months later sometimes I still get lost within the Parliament. 

Tuesday:
          Tuesday morning was spent revising and condensing the briefing draft, and trying not to panic or get lost in Parliament. My MSP had a few guests; however, he was not in his office, and I did not book a meeting room for him because I was told the meeting was at a different time. Fortunately, as I went to get his visitors, I ran into my MSP whom luckily was able to book a room for his guests. Afterwards, I finished my first briefing, and had Mark look over the information. I was incredibly excited when I was told that my first briefing was good, but I still wished for some criticism so I can further improve my writing. The latter afternoon was spent on researching about the Commonwealth Games for my second briefing. My MSP didn’t tell me what he wanted me to write about since there was no motion or bill, so I just researched on the assumption that he wanted to talk about Aberdeen and its legacy. What I learned about the Commonwealth Games is that it’s the Olympics of former territories of the British Empire. According to The Times, the Commonwealth Games was a “Pan-Britannic Pan-Angelican Contest and Festival every four years as a means of increasing good will and good understanding of the British Empire.”
Wednesday: 
         I spent my Wednesday reading and writing about Aberdeen’s funds to encourage sport participation in youngsters and celebrate the Commonwealth Games.
Clyde
This is Clyde, the 2014 Commonwealth Games Mascot. Yes he is a Thistle, the national flower of Scotland.

Thursday: 
          My Thursday, I was a bit sad I missed the FMQs and the currency debate; however, I was able to attend the Chamber Duty Commonwealth Games Debate. Honestly, that debate did not really feel like a debate, it felt more like MSPS speaking about different issues with regards to the Commonwealth Games. I honestly thought some of the things said by some of the MSPS such as Labour Party Hanzala Malik were nonsensical. Hanzala worried that Glasgow was getting the short end of funding, despite the fact that the Commonwealth Games are held in Glasgow. While Glasgow has seen its fair share of loss of jobs in the public sector, I remember reading in the SPICE research for my briefing that the Commonwealth Games have provided many job opportunities for Glasgow constituents. My MSP and other MSPS argued that while the games are held in Glasgow, overall the Commonwealth Games is an opportunity to promote Scotland as a whole. At some point during the debate, one of the MSPS speculated that Glasgow may encounter more tourism than Edinburgh due to the Commonwealth Games, and other festivals. With regards to my briefing, Mark ended used 6 points from my briefing that emphasized development of Aberdeen sports facilities and how that benefits Scotland. My new goal now is to hopefully predict what will be said so that Mark uses most of my briefing. As for my Friday it was spent checking my MSP’s diary. Overall, I think this week was a very calm week. I probably will start doing a research project of my own soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment