Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Meetings and CPGs

Honestly there are days that I do question what am I doing, but at the same time there are also a few perks to interning at the Scottish Parliament, and one of my favorite perks is going to meetings hosted by Members of Scottish Parliament and other companies.

In the Parliament there are committee meetings and Cross Party Group Meetings. What exactly is the difference? This is taken off the Parliament Website:

In Committee Meetings, "The Committee scrutinises the policies and performance of the Scottish Government and its agencies by considering relevant legislation; conducting inquiries; scrutinising spending proposals; and carrying out any other work that it considers appropriate." Essentially you're going in to a committee and listening to MSPS criticise the work of the Scottish government. :) 


Committee meeting in session
Ongoing Committee meeting. Image taken by Scottish Parliament
"Cross-Party Groups (CPGS) provide an opportunity for Members of all parties, outside organisations and members of the public to meet and discuss a shared interest in a particular cause or subject." 

I've personally never gone to a committee meeting, so I can't say what that's like; however I have been to a few Cross-Party Group meetings for things like Oil and Taiwan. One of the things that is interesting about cross party groups is the fact that sometimes they're able to bring people together, and in my case before I actually went to this particular Cross Party Group I never met a Taiwanese person in Edinburgh. Anyways, I digress... In the Taiwan Cross Party Group meeting, MSP Colin Keir oversaw the meeting and there was a few speakers speaking about how Scotland could benefit from Taiwan (exporting whisky etc). I felt as though it may have disappointed some of the fellow Taiwanese because they were expecting to learn a little bit more about how Taiwan could be promoted in Scotland, and kept on trying to redirect the conversation to Taiwan's exports rather than Taiwan's imports. As a Taiwanese American, I can understand the want to express your culture and want for your homeland to benefit  especially when you're in a culture so different from your own...so in this case I did feel that while a majority of the conversation should be focused on Scotland's exports in Taiwan....just maybe there could have been more discussion on how Taiwan can attract Scottish visitors via (tourism, food, etc). Otherwise beyond that, I enjoyed my first Cross Party Group meeting and met the Taiwanese Embassy Ambassador, Peter and his lovely secretary Selina. 

Other then Committee Meetings and Cross Party Group Meetings, staff members (aka interns, parliamentary assistants etc) are able to actually attend group meetings hosted by companies such as Bank of Scotland. One of my favorite meetings though has got to be the "Lesser known Scotch Whisky" Whisky Tasting invitation by Scotch Whisky Cross Party Group and Scotch Whisky Association because I wanted to learn more about whisky + on a college student note.... it was probably the only time I was able to try Scottish whisky in Scotland (Note: I am way too miserly to spend money on alcohol.) What did I learn about whisky? 

Scottish whisky can ONLY be called whisky if it has been in a Scottish OAK casket for MORE than 3 years.  There are 2 types of whiskys: Single Malt and Blended Malt Whisky. Single Malt means it comes from a single distillery and 100% malted barley.  By the way for those who don't know Malt - (grains are mixed with water, germinated (process when seed becomes a plant)  then dried). 


Scottish Whisky comes in a tulip shaped glass. :)  Also you NEVER EVER spell  whisky with a E.  

 I did try a whisky mojito and maybe 3 other whiskies but I do not remember the names. All I remember was the fact that some of the whisky (single malt whisky) had an amberish color.....smelled very earthy, smokey, and had grassy overtones...then you would smell something sweet (I know people said honey but I thought overripened bananas).....then the potent scent of alcohol like everclear would punch you... Anyways the taste of it is .......interesting to say the least.... I'm not sure if I would use the word robust to describe it, but it's like vodka in the sense that it starts out mellow then you suddenly get smacked with overwhelming bitterness. Needless to say I'm not a huge fan of whisky, but it is still a nice experience.
Tunnock's Caramel Wafer Cross Section
Tunnock Caramel Wafers are heavenly <3!
Other then that I've also attended a trivia pub quiz between Parliamentary staff with my UCEAP friends James and Derek, as well as a Netherlander intern named Daniel. We got last place (6th) but you know that last place is better than 4th place when the 4th place group complains and wishes they got last place because the prizes for last place are better. Note: 6th place gift (Tunnock's caramel waffers) > 4th place gift (umbrellas.) 

I'll write more later, but yeah I thought this may give you a wee taste to the perks of being a Scotland Parliament intern :). Anyways until next time.

Cheers!

Tina 

No comments:

Post a Comment